Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Bring the funk

As a perpetual college music student I have found that my musical tastes have changed from when I was younger. I used to listen to only funk, rock, and blues music and I thought that classical music was boring. Fast forward to roughly ten years later I find myself only listening to classical music. It isn’t that I dislike the music from when I was younger, I have just developed a bigger appreciation for western art music and it is what I prefer to listen to. That being said, as of late I have been trying to go ‘off-genre’ in my listening and reconnect with my roots more - and this video has been at the top of my playlist for weeks. This is a shining example of a group who blends the classical playing tradition technique (they match sound, articulation, style and play with full rich sounds) with a modern funk-like approach. A group of killer brass players (and others) playing exciting and engaging music is something that I know I need more of in my life. No B.S Brass band has led me to other similar groups, such as the YoungBlood brass band (among others). I think it would be a disservice to not include these modern, non-classical performing brass ensembles in the same circles as your standard classical brass ensembles (i.e brass quintet).

Enjoy what I think can only be summed up by the word Tasty.






No comments:

Post a Comment